Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hunter's Quilt=Completed UFO

I finally finished one of my UFOs!!!!.

I have been working on this quilt for a long time. (Well I worked on if for a while, then forgot about it and then started it again many months later) When Hunter was born I decided to make the nursery bedding. It was fun and something that I did again for Walter. I loved going to the fabric store and picking out the fabric for his crib. I made him bumpers, a crib sheet and the crib skirt. So when he moved to a big boy bed, I had a hard time letting go of the bedding. I didn't know that to do with it. I thought about keeping it, but for what purpose? At this time I was pregnant with Walter, but I had already decided that I wanted to make his bedding different and special for Walter. So I came up with the idea of reusing the material to make the bedding for his big boy bed.

The quilt at the bottom of the bed is one that Grandma Sharman had made for Hunter and as you can see matches perfectly with all the material. (Sharman had come with me to help me pick out all the material in the very beginning.) That is one of the reasons I wanted to make this quilt because I didn't just want to put the quilt that Sharman had made away. I wanted it out and displayed, but I wanted it to match the rest of the decor.

I kept the quilt simple and easy. The blue squares were once the crib sheet. The green squares were the crib skirt and the animal squares had been the bumpers.


Here is a picture of the back. I love the look of the tan with the animal print binding.

As you can see from the picture above, I still need to add a couple of things. (Well I would like to add a couple of things- I don't know if I really need to)

I found this pattern for a pleated bed skirt and thought about making it in a tan fabric like the back of the quilt. But is that too much? Sometimes I can get carried away with a theme. Should I make it or should I just buy one from the store and kept is easy and not so matchy matchy?

I would also like to make some throw pillows. I have been looking in magazines for ideas. Most of the beds have about three pillows on them, but is that too much for a kids bed? I can see Hunter and Walter just throwing them off each day and not really caring that they were made to make the room look good.

I think I going to make one pillow just a solid color either tan or green (same material from the quilt) and have the piping be the animal print.

Then I thought of making another pillow the same patchwork design as the quilt. I'm not sure if I should make the pillow the same size as a normal pillow or smaller.

So I need your help. I would ask Weston, but he says that this really isn't his department. So what do you guys think?

1. Should I make a bed skirt or just buy one?

2. How many throw pillows should I make 3,2,1?

and what sizes?

3. Do you like the idea of one solid and one patchwork, or should they both be solid, or something else?

Please tell me what you think.

Hunter is just happy to have his "special quilt-that mommy made me" done.

3 comments:

Shanda said...

Wow Sue! You are REALLY talented! That quilt is beautiful! If I was as talented as you I might consider buying a bed skirt, but I also don't know how much they cost regularly. Pillows...good question. I think they are really cute for decoration, but I'm sure my girls would throw them off. I'm still just amazed that you made that quilt! I can't wait to sew with you! I found some fun ideas. I'm going to have my car tomorrow so I'll go shop for some fabric.

W said...

Mom says if you have time, you can make a bedskirt...but if not, you can buy one that will match. 1 pillow will be good for now and see how it goes. Mom really admires your work and how very talented you are!!! :)

Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com said...

The quilt is beautiful! You did a wonderful job! How special and sweet!! I'm sure Hunter will cherish it!

Judy@cutest-little-things