Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dr. Seuss Week

Last week during school time we did some fun activities to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday. We started on Monday by reading The Cat in the Hat, and making a hat from a oatmeal container. Throughout the week after we read another Dr. Seuss book we would add a white stripe with the name of the book to the hat. I got this idea from a Mailbox Magazine. By the end of the week our hat looked like this.

With each book we read we would do another activity. For There's a Wocket in my Pocket we played a rhyming game. We had cupcakes after reading The Sneetches, we decorated them with yellow frosting and then some had green star sprinkles and some did not. We made Oobleck after reading Bartholomew and the Oobleck. I really wanted to get pictures of the boys playing with it, but my camera battery died. For Green Eggs and Ham, one of the boy's favorite, I made a felt play set of green eggs and ham.


I got the pattern for the eggs at Wee Folk Art and for the ham I didn't really have a pattern but Dana at MADE had made a set so I looked at hers as a reference. We had so much fun during the whole week. I noticed that Hunter kept trying to put the oatmeal box hat on to pretend. So though I didn't originally plan to, I made the boys hats.


For these I did follow the tips and directions at MADE. As I was taking these pictures, I couldn't help but think how fun it would be to dress them up as Thing One and Thing Two.





"It is fun to have fun

But you have to know how."
-Dr. Seuss

3 comments:

dana said...

very fun.
Your green eggs and ham turned out perfect!
Thanks for sharing with me :)

valerie said...

Great job Sue! You are doing great things with those little guys.
They are so lucky to have you for a mom!

janel said...

Those green eggs and ham are adorable! Thanks for your idea about the throw pillows. I think that it would be fun to do accents in red/blue.